Sunday 6 January 2013

A touch of vintage

I would like to think i will keep this as a regular segment on my blog. It's always nice to see other peoples interpretations of what a vintage outfit would look like, whether it would be a few outfit pieces or the whole Sha-bam. I personally love the look of a vintage hair do with a subtle dress for a work look or the full attire for a night out.

If you are just starting with the whole vintage thing though one of the most easiest and cute look's is the popular and famous headscarf of the 1940's also known as a do-rag ( I shall add that to my vintage term glossary). This style became very popular during World War Two as women took over many of the vacted working positions in factories, it was the perfect way to keep your hair out of the way or to hide this pin curls you were setting for later that night! This where the Iconic American icon we know as Rosie the Riveter came from, She was an image for the newly working women and only in the 1980's did she become a sign for women empowerment.
 I personally started out quite a while ago rocking this look, it's great if you don't have time to do your hair properly.

Image source: Pinterest



There are a few good tutorials on how to tie a Do-rag, my favourite being Vintage Vixen's. You will find clear photos that are easily followed.

I tried a little fancier version for a cute tropical style scarf i have. It's perfect for todays summer day! I would love to see your versions of the 1940's headscarf!






No comments:

Post a Comment